Monday, May 2, 2011

Plein air fast before the rain comes!



From last week, Distant Trees, 9x12 oils on board. Had move quick on this one as a storm front was moving fast. I was able to get most what I needed before getting rained on and I finished up back in the studio the next day.

This piece was mostly palette knife in the field using thick paint for a heavy texture build up. I always think down heavy paint but the next day it looks medium at the most. Don't get me wrong, this has a lot of paint texture and nice juicy areas but I think I might have to get out the small shovel soon. I want to do some HEAVY work, need to buy the BIG tubes of paint.

I use sticks and stuff I find in the field for my brushes these days too. Hard times yeah, but it is more of a finger you to all the hard correct academics and staying in bounds! And galleries that don't pay and all that stuff. Don't worry, I still like all those beautiful technically correct paintings ..... and the artist that paint them. I'll go paint with anyone but I might end up pushing paint around with a bunch sticks that day!

2 comments:

G. Lindwood said...

Sometimes you've just gotta use the tools that best do the job. I like how the trees have those soft edges.

Brenda Boylan said...

Nice one Don. I noticed the all telling cloud cover reflection in the water...
You could use your unusual "sticks and stones" technique as something unique to your work. Possibly a selling point? Will see you out there soon enough.